Where does one start in preparing our young people to realize their dreams and become more independent? We know that they often need specific instruction in order to be prepared. It is difficult for them to be flexible and manage anxiety when faced with too much novelty.
As a parent, it can be difficult to decide where to start, what skills are most vital, how to let go gradually, and how much school involvement to request. In order to help address some of these challenges, I am offering the following services to families:
- Consultation to help clarify your teen’s vision for his or her future, relevant strengths, and transition needs.
- Consultation regarding the high school transition planning process and effective communication with school personnel regarding your teen’s needs.
- Collaboration with the family around goals being set in individual work with the teenager and communication regarding how the family can support the work and increased independence.
- Consultation with the family regarding auxiliary services and activities that will nourish the teen’s post-secondary goals.
- Consultation with the family regarding your teen’s readiness to move forward and what supports to put in place.